How to use Apostrophes
1. The apostrophe ( ' ) has two functions. It indicates both the possessive case and contractions. This might seem simple, but it causes a lot of problems. It should NEVER be used to indicate the plural case.
2. The Possessive Case
3. When the possessor is single we indicate possession by using an apostrophe followed by the letter "s":
The man's coat my sister's hat.
4. When the possessors are plural, the apostrophe is placed after the final "s":
The girls' bicycles my cousins' parents.
5. When names end with the letter "s", either use is acceptable:
James' wife or James's wife.
(It is often said that the choice between the two should be made on how the word is pronounced.)
6. The apostrophe is never used with possessive pronouns:
his, hers, its ours, yours, theirs
But it is used with "one": One must do one's best.
7. Many shops and business concerns these days omit the apostrophe from their titles:
Barclays Bank Coopers Wines.
8. Note that the apostrophe is not required where a word has been formed by omitting its first part:
bus NOT 'bus
9. No apostrophe should be used in the plural form of numbers and dates:
in the 1920s the roaring twenties
10. The possessive of classical names ending in es is often formed by the apostrophe alone:
11. French names ending in an unpronounced s or x follow the normal rule, taking an apostrophe and an s:
Rabelais's comedy Malraux's novels
In formal prose we would write She has told him, but when speaking we would say She's told him. The apostrophe is used to indicate the missing letters.
1. I am (I'm) - He is (he's) - You are (You're).
2. Note the difference between it's (it is) and its (belonging to it).
3. Notice too that the term its' does not exist.
4. It's may also be a contraction of "it has" - "It's been a pleasure meeting you".
1. When items are described by an acronym or an abbreviation, there should not be an apostrophe to denote the plural:
MP (military police) sixteen MPs
2. But the apostrophe should be used in any expression which includes an element of possession:
MPs' salaries a PC's capacity
3. The apostrophe is not normally used after a noun which has an adjectival rather than a possessive sense
ladies toilet Rates Office students union
One PC (Police Constable) Two PCs
A change in seasons doesn't just bring new handbags into stores; spring has also arrived with a fresh set of makeup, skincare and haircare products to evaluate, and because your skin's needs change as the replica louis vuitton temperature does, now's the time to decide where your beauty budget is going to go. I'm a little bit product-obsessed, so I've been excitedly combing through the season's new arrivals and launches, and below, I've gathered my shopping replica gucci list. What are you looking forward to this spring? Caolion's original pore pack is a holy-grail mask for a lot of Korean beauty enthusiasts, and this version is intended to take on blackheads more specifically. It just arrived at Sephora, and dior replica handbags hopefully it will be sucking gunk out of the pores on my nose in the very near future. My hair is very color-treated and sensitive to fading, so clarifying shampoo is basically out of the question for me, even though football shirts uk I could often really use something other than regular shampoo to get all the buildup out of my hair. This rinse is supposed to replace an occasional wash and condition, and so far, the feedback I've heard on it is fantastic. Best of all, it's safe color-treated hair.